Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ups and Downs

This has been a rollercoaster of a week in terms of my relationship with technology. Last Tuesday I got high-speed Internet installed at my house. Thus followed 4 blissful days of Skype, email, and online ESL resources.

Saturday morning my computer started to blink the orange light of death, indicating that I needed to plug it in and revive the battery. About 5 seconds after doing so, the converter that is built into my power cord started sparking and smoking. If I hadn't immediately yanked it out of the outlet, I probably would have had to explain to my host family why an electrical fire started in my bedroom.

To my great dismay, there are no DELL products sold in Moldova, so I am at the mercy of my parents to order me a new power cord and ship it via the ever-so-finnicky Moldovan postal system. So, while I have wonderful, high speed Internet and a laptop that works just fine, I have no way of using either. Sigh.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

SUCH a bummer about your power cord. We were SO CLOSE to being able to Skype!! Hopefully the Moldovan postal system won't lose this precious cargo!

Anonymous said...

Hey there sister,

That sucks about your power cord. I'll talk to mom and dad to make sure they sent the cord. Also, I was gonna send you an email yesterday but saw this so and figured it would be awhile till you would read it. Of course that also means that it will be awhile till you can read this, but I didn't think of that till just now.

-Kenton

Andy and Lyndsay said...

Man! Hang in there Katie! One day you will again be able to have the bliss of high speed internet!