Saturday, July 12, 2008

the state of the nation

Let me start this post off with a disclaimer: I have only been in Moldova for a month. Even though I'm learning the language, and I've heard numerous lectures about the history and culture and observed quite a bit from my interactions with host country nationals, I still know very little about Moldova. If anything, I'm at the dangerous stage where you know just enough about something to think you know everything and consequently be way off base.

That being said, I'm going to go right ahead and share my opinions (isn't that what a blog is for???). Before coming to Moldova, I heard/read somewhere that Moldova is the poorest country in Europe. After arriving here, I heard that statistic again. And I am starting to understand why. Poverty is a complex thing. Moldova is nothing like sub-Saharan Africa, where poverty is so overwhleming that it reaches out and smacks you right between the eyes. In Chisinau, and in other cities in Moldova, you wouldn't think Moldova is that poor. Banks, grocery stores, pharmacies, cell phone kiosks, cars, and stylishly dressed girls in ridiculously high stilettos are everywhere.

But looks can be deceiving. Many Moldovans struggle to make ends meet. You can see this especially in villages. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, Moldova's political and economic infastructes dissolved as well. Since Moldova declared its independence, economic growth has been slow. Roughly 1/4 (I've heard slightly varying statististics) of Moldova's working-age population is currently abroad because people can't find jobs here (even teachers, doctors, and other professionals sometimes have to leave the country and find work elsewhere, cleaning people's houses or doing construction, because they can't find jobs that pay enough for them to live on). Many children have one or both parents who are away from home for months, or even years, at a time.

And to make things even more complicated, Moldova is a country torn between the East and the West. Russia has long been a presence here (for obvious reasons), and a significant portion of Moldovans identify themselves as Russian (speak Russian, not Romanian, etc.). But many Moldovans would like to see themselves united with Romania (re-united really--before being a part of the Soviet Union, Moldova was a part of Romania), especially if that means joining the EU as a result.

It's all so complicated, and of course, I've only scratched the surface. For anyone that thinks all of this is as interesting as I do (I won't be offended if you don't, but if you do--bravo!), you need to check out the recent New Yorker article about human trafficking and Moldova. From what I can tell, it's very accurate and well-researched. Just go to Google, type in "New Yorker + Moldova" and you'll find it.

I'm not sure yet how I, as an English teacher, am going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things, but I do know that I'm in the right place. I'm quickly falling in love with this country and with its people, and I hope that my role in my community will be a meaningful one. That's why I came, and I'm going to try my best not to forget that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie! I am so excited and inspired by your update!

Wow....falling in love...with the country and people already is totally a God thing!

We are praying for you and are confident that God has and will use you to touch others as they watch who Jesus is in you!

Love you so much;)

Love Aaron, Austin, Ethan, Jacob fand myslef!