Friday, August 22, 2008

It's Official

It's official, folks: I am now a Peace Corps Volunteer! What was I the past ten weeks? Only a trainee. The lowest of the low. Even pond scum enjoyed a higher social status. Just kidding! Kind of. Wednesday the M23's were sworn in at the American Ambassadorial Residence. So now the PC claims us as its own. The ceremony itself was pretty cool, albeit boiling hot. We had to sit in the sun for over an hour, and I think it was a pretty hefty accomplishment that none of us passed out!

For reasons not fully comprehended on my part, I was asked to give a speech at the ceremony. Thankfully I was not expected to speak extemporaneously (my apologies to my Speech professor Dr. Stewart--I know he would NOT have approved). I wrote my speech in English, and then it was edited and translated by the powers that be. So all I had to do was practice reading it about a million times and pray fervently that I wouldn't embarrass myself. I gave it, and it went just fine. I don't think I'll be starting a Moldovan public speaking career anytime soon, but I'm okay with that.

Speaking of trying to not embarrass myself, there were tons of press at the ceremony yesterday, and I was interviewed by two different crews. My mind went into autopilot and started spitting out all the Romanian I had learned in class (Moldova is beautiful. The people are nice. I came here because I want to learn more about other cultures, etc.). I do also distinctly remember saying that I love Moldovan food and listing off my favorite dishes. I don't know if my other interview made it on-air, but here is a link to a newsclip about the ceremony. My interview is about halfway through (and if you look really hard, you can see quick snippets of me in the other parts. I was wearing a brown shirt and white skirt). http://www.trm.md/index.php?module=stiri_int&news_id=2891

Try not to laugh too hard, please! ;-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You're famous! who was the girl interviewed before you? she talked so fast!

I'm impressed. For you to speak so fluently after only being there two months is a feat! :)

Kenton said...

You are such a fricken European......Garret is totally taking your spot as my twin now...

Unknown said...

Jenny and I watched you and are very impressed......she says you rock just so you know

Kelly Alberts said...

HOORAY!!! nice work. i'm impressed with your ability to speak so quickly under pressure <3

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure you insulted the camera man's mother... Try this out next time: "I mîncat al tău pisică. Art.hot. pisică tasted bun." Seroiusly, I am so proud of you! ;) XOXO

Unknown said...

Sounds like things are going really awesome. I'm super excited to see my fellow CMC'er out doing amazing things for the world. I would definitely like to have your address. I know how nice it is to get mail when you're away from home although you're a bit farther than me. Also, you looked beautiful in that video as always.